Saturday, January 22, 2011

A Pair of Blue Eyes review

Here's my brief Goodreads review. Much as I enjoyed this (boy, it was good to read a classic again! I think I must have been beginning to suffer 19th-century-lit withdrawal symptoms, whatever those might be), I am now going to have to read some frothy, happy romance to counterbalance this anything-but frothy and happy romance.

*****

A Pair of Blue Eyes (Oxford World's Classics)A Pair of Blue Eyes by Thomas Hardy

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


My first Hardy novel. . . my first venture into Wessex. I don't think it will be my last.

I've just this minute finished reading it, so excuse my rambling, fragmented "review".

-Beautifully written, and quite a fast, easy read for a 19th century novel, though there were a couple of slower points. However, in each instance the narrative quickly regained pace.

-Relatively brief yet very evocative descriptions of nature.

-VERY well-drawn characters, that truly come to life in the reader's imagination.

-Surely few authors can rival Hardy in instilling a sense of impending doom in the pages of their books!

I was torn as to whether to give this 3 or 4 stars. 4 stars for the writing and characters; 3 stars for the story. One aspect of the story in particular could hardly avoid being extremely frustrating for the modern reader, and everything inevitably ends in tragedy.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading this. I second the petition for Andrew Davies and the BBC to make this into a TV miniseries!!

View all my reviews

3 comments:

Autumn said...

Interesting. Maybe I should look at reading some of his books.
~ Autumn.

Erin said...

Just wanted to say that I love your blog! :)

Anonymous said...

If you wanted something more lighthearted, but yet Hardy, I'd recommend "Under the Greenwood Tree".

I liked the first part of "A Pair of Blue Eyes" best, and I liked (I seem to have forgotten the names, though I re-read the book last year, I believe?) Stephen best (it was Stephen, wasn't it? at any rate, the young man in the first part of the story), and I never got the wonderfulness of what's-his-name, to be honest... (Sorry for the confused comment, but since you've just read the book, you may manage to decypher my meaning nonetheless. :) )

LRK