Saturday, May 28, 2011

Beautiful costume drama stills

Collecting period drama pictures from various corners of the web has become something of a hobby for me. The reason for this being that the pictures are just. So. Gorgeous! One could (in fact, one often does) spend hours drooling over the beautiful costumes, houses, landscapes, and people.

Many costume drama pictures are small works of art in themselves. As I am sure most of you are well aware, whenever I do a post on a period film, I use it as an excuse to share as many images as I can possibly cram into one post. This time I have no such excuse. This is simply a messy, mish-mash costume drama picspam, featuring a few of my favourites. The following are symphonies in light, colour, and texture! Elise, stop waxing poetical and get on with the pictures. . .

And just as a disclaimer, I do not whole-heartedly endorse every film in mentioned in this post. A couple of these films contain fast-forward-able scenes.

Photobucket
I love Drew Barrymore's red velvet dress. She really is a timeless beauty. Also, her character in this film is one of the few (that I know of) in period drama to have hair that is nearly as long as mine. :P Yay for lasses with long tresses! (Ever After 1998)

Photobucket
Bleakly beautiful. (Persuasion 2007)

Photobucket
Because it's so delightfully English! This could be a scene from any one of Georgette Heyer's novels. (Emma 1996)

Photobucket
Well, I had to include at least one pic of my favourite literary hero. ;-) Why does he does he have to be a fictional character? Why??! (Northanger Abbey 2007)

Photobucket
Very Monet-esque. By the way, if anyone could tell me where I can obtain high-res non-watermarked pics from this film I would be very grateful. (The Magic of Ordinary Days 2005)

Photobucket
An interior shot for a change. I love the warm, rich tones in this picture. (The Illusionist 2007)

Photobucket
Beautiful Liv Tyler. (Onegin 1999)

Photobucket
ANY still from this movie could easily have featured in this post. Italy. . . Helena Bonham Carter. . . Scumptious Edwardian costumes. I love how the personality of each character is conveyed in this picture. (A Room with a View 1985)

Photobucket
The dress and the field of wildflowers were made for each other (quite literally, no doubt). (Marie Antoinette 2006)

Photobucket
I loved Cecily's Pre-Raphaelite inspired daydream sequences. :-) (The Importance of Being Earnest 2002)

Photobucket
Once again, any picture from this movie could have been in this post. This one is very moody and gothic, and strongly remiscent of Andrew Wyeth's Christina's World. (Tess of the D'Urbervilles 2008)

Photobucket
One of my favourite movies. (Enchanted April 1992)

I suppose I'd better stop now. Part 2 will quite possibly be coming very soon. By the way, I hope you don't mind a post featuring mostly pictures, rather than writing. I've been suffering from a spot of writer's block lately.

10 comments:

Charleybrown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Charleybrown said...

Wonderful pictures Elise! I love how each image instantly brings us back in time to that particular era! (And inspires the urge to watch each drama!)

Miss Laurie said...

These are stunning Elise! I enjoy most of these films and love the colors and textures in each photo!
It's too bad that Marie Antoinette has so much innuendo and objectionable content because it really is a visually exquisite costume drama! I just adore the dress in that photo!

Is the second to the last photo from Tess of the D'Urbervilles 2008 with Gemma Arterton? You're right, it is very like Andrew Wyeth's 'Christina's World'. He painted that in my neck of the woods because he had a summer home in Cushing, Maine. It was a big story here when he passed away, he was well respected and there's an Andrew Wyeth exhibit at Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland, Maine. I don't know why I've never been there before, it would make a day trip.
I look forward to your next post! :)

~Miss Laurie
Old-Fashioned Charm

Marian said...

LOVE the fabric for the Marie Antoinette dress. <3 Makes me want to sew!

Would you consider writing a review for Onegin sometime? The book is one of my all-time faves, but I'm not sure if I'd like the movie (adaptation or content-wise); and there aren't a whole lot of Christian reviews for it.

The Editrix said...

Marian, I will try to write a review sometime. I loved the movie, and I really want to read the book sometime! In the meantime, you could try checking out the Charity's Place review.

http://www.charitysplace.com/review/onegin.htm

The R-rating is ridiculous, it should really only be a PG-13. There was one love scene and one scene with some gore, as well as some innuendo.

Laurie - oops!! *Goes and adds movie title to caption*. Wow, that's really cool! And yes, you should go and see that exhibition sometime! And I agree, it's a shame about Marie Antoinette. Though I have to admit I found all the Rococo prettiness rather stifling at times!

Charleybrown, thank you for your kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed the post. :-)

Miss Laurie said...

I just wanted to drop you a line and especially thank you for including the photo of Enchanted April in this post. I'd thought of watching it a few times but just hadn't. But after seeing that it's one of your favorites I decided to watch it tonight and I really enjoyed it! All of the characters are so interesting, the actors are fabulous and the views in Italy are just exquisite! It reminds me a bit of 'A Room With A View' but I like it a lot better! My favorite character is Lotty Wilkins, ever the optimist! :)

~Miss Laurie
Old-Fashioned Charm

Unknown said...

Lovely pictures, thank you for sharing! I've seen all of these except Onegin, which I'd never heard of - but it sounds intriguing.

The Editrix said...

Ruth, Onegin is an amazing story, though a sad one. I highly recommend it.

Laurie, I'm so glad you enjoyed Enchanted April!! Isn't it the loveliest movie? And the book is equally charming.

Emily said...

I own The Magic of Ordinary Days...so I could post pictures from my DVD. Would you like me to do that?

I love the pictures you've posted!!

The Editrix said...

Oh, I wouldn't want to put you to all that trouble, Emily. :-) But thanks for offering!