Several of my blogging friends have compiled lists of all the books they want to read in the year ahead. I thought it looked like fun, so now I am doing likewise!
I probably won't get through half of the books on list. And I will no doubt end up reading many, many books that aren't on my list.
Well - here goes. . . [no particular order, of course. . . ]
1. Ben Hur - Lew Wallace
2. The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien
3. Wives and Daughters - Elizabeth Gaskell
4. Lady Susan - Jane Austen
5. The Watsons - Jane Austen
6. Sanditon - Jane Austen
7. Belinda - Maria Edgeworth
8. Evelina - Fanny Burney
9. Middlemarch - George Eliot
10. At the Back of the North Wind - George MacDonald
11. The Princess and the Goblin - George MacDonald
12. The Princess and the Curdie - George MacDonald
13. Um - as much Shakespeare as I can manage
14. Freckles - Gene Stratton Porter
15. The Inheritance - Louisa May Alcott
16. Daniel Deronda - George Eliot
17. Educating Rita - Willy Russell
18. Death of a Salesman - Arthur Miller
19. Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
20. Charles Dickens. . . thus far I haven't read much Dickens at all.
+Plus I want to re-read all of Austen and The Lord of the Rings. (I know, I'm being a bit ambitious, but there's no harm in setting a few goals for myself. . . I want to read Northanger Abbey one more time while I am still sixteen - the same age as the heroine!)
So, yeah. . . that's a start. Do any of you have any suggestions or book recommendations for me? Are there any books on my list that you have read and wouldn't recommend?
Bearing in mind my enthusiasm for 19th century classics, and the fact that I have loving parents who are fairly picky about what I read, what books would you recommend that I read over the coming year? I'm open to suggestions! :-)